Still believe in a tooth fairy? It’s time to turn into it yourself! Teeth, like any other part of the body, require attention and careful care. And if you are not a fan of trips to the dentist, you can prevent tooth decay on your own. Doctors advise combining effective methods of dental hygiene with a few simple changes made to your daily diet.
Bright Side has compiled a list of simple ways you can prevent the formation of caries and holes in your teeth in a natural way.
1. Change your eating habits
Partial dietary changes and adherence to the rules of a healthy diet in themselves improve health, no matter what your goal. According to studies , dietary changes can actually reverse caries formation . We already know that eating foods high in sugar leads to caries, and phytic acid interferes with the absorption of calcium. However, having changed your eating habits, you are unlikely to encounter such a problem.
- Eat more calcium: this is the main component of bones and teeth. Eat dairy products every day (milk, yogurt, sour cream, cheese).
- Drink sugar-free drinks, avoid soda and juice. Drink plain water, fruit smoothies, and unsweetened tea. Water is generally very beneficial for the body: it nourishes us with moisture and contributes to a greater release of saliva.
2. Chew sugarless gum
It sounds strange, but sugarless gum can actually prevent tooth decay. Most of these chews contain xylitol, a natural sweetener. Unlike food, xylitol does not lead to the growth of bacteria in the mouth. In addition, when you chew, an influx of saliva naturally flushes out leftovers .
3. Clean and replace your toothbrush regularly
Not everyone knows how to choose a toothbrush .
- Always choose a small or medium brush so that the bristles can penetrate the recesses of the molars , where food debris can accumulate.
- Do not put a cap on the brush , as microorganisms and bacteria can settle in it. Instead, rinse the brush thoroughly with water after each use and let it air dry. And do not store the brush in the same room where the toilet is: fecal bacteria can settle on it.
- Change your toothbrush regularly , because the bristles deteriorate over time, and as a result, you will not be able to clean your teeth as well as with a new brush.
4. Follow basic dental care.
Sounds like super obvious advice, but it actually works. According to the International Dental Health Association , almost 42% of adults who care for their oral cavity use only a toothbrush. Sometimes we don’t realize how wrong we care for our teeth . If you want to protect your teeth from caries, do the following in the morning and evening:
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes at least 2 times a day. Try to walk along the entire surface of the teeth, not forgetting about the far corners.
- Use dental floss. Sometimes even brushing your teeth is not as effective as it is.
- Do not forget about mouthwash. Any of them has an antibacterial effect. Do not rinse your mouth with water after this: the protection against bacteria will last longer.
5. Clean regularly
Yes, going to the dentist is not the most pleasant procedure, but it is always better to prevent a problem than to solve it. It doesn’t matter how well you brush your teeth: hard-to-reach areas always remain .
The dentist will clean the line at the gums from the front and back of the teeth, remove plaque and tartar. Regular cleaning is a very important step in the fight against hole formation. Many people like to go for brushing, especially the feeling of smooth teeth after it is especially pleasant. The procedure must be recorded at least 1-2 times a year.
6. Include dietary supplements and vitamins
We have already said that the amount of sweet in the diet should be reduced, but there is still something that can help saliva fight the formation of plaque. Vitamins are an important component of dental health.
- Eat more fiber-rich foods : fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Most useful are apples, bananas, Brussels sprouts and peas.
- Eat whole grains. They contain a lot of vitamin B and iron. They also have magnesium, a mineral that promotes the absorption of calcium and strengthens teeth.
- Eat more seafood to get more vitamin D. Salmon, herring, canned tuna, and sardines are great sources of this vitamin.
7. Rinse your mouth with coconut oil
Coconut oil naturally protects your teeth from tooth decay. It heals teeth and draws bacteria out of them. Just rinse your mouth with 1 tsp. coconut oil for 20 minutes, until saliva and oil turn into one solid mass. Do not swallow it. The method is simple but effective. Coconut oil is powerless against the effects of tooth decay, but can prevent the formation of holes.
8. Make your own mineral paste
For this simple pasta recipe, you only need a few natural ingredients that you can buy at any store. Since you will prepare the paste yourself, make sure the quality and safety of the components . You will need the following:
- 4 tbsp. l calcium powder
- 1 tbsp. l stevia
- 1 tbsp. l sea salt
- 2 tbsp. l baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
Combine all ingredients until a paste forms. There should be no lumps. Use this mixture instead of regular toothpaste.
Remember: you should not use the mixture for longer than 30 days in a row, as it has an abrasive structure and does not contain fluorides.
Do you always follow the rules above or do you prefer professional treatment? Or maybe you know other ways to prevent tooth decay? Tell us about your experiences.